ALCOHOL AND OUR RANGATAHI – What can we do?
Help them keep safe. Our advice may not always be welcomed, but it is critical. Young people need WISDOM.
- If we do supply alcohol, give only small amounts
- Make sure food and non-alcoholic beverages are provided
- Be a good role model. Lead by example.
- Make sure we, or someone we know and trust is supervising and is available
- Discuss expectations around drinking alcohol & have a safe transport plan to get home.
- Parents/Legal guardians talk to one another. Be clear about the permission, limits and quantity allowed when going to a party
- Have a good relationship with your young ones and keep communication open
- It is illegal for anyone other than legal parents/guardians to supply underage young people with alcohol.
Any questions about alcohol or concerns about somebody’s drinking:
arc Counselling Services (Taupo) 08002275272
Te Utuhina Manaakitanga Trust (Taupo) 3770817
Alcohol & Drug Helpline 0800787797
Maori line 0800787798
Paifika line 0800787799
From 18 December 2013 a new law comes into effect. The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 is replacing The Sale of Liquor Act 1989. www.Justice.govt.nz/policy/sale-and-supply-of-alcohol
Cafe offers drop in clinics – see our website for hours